It is the longest route on Mount Kilimanjaro which begins in the West at the Londorosi Gate and follows the same path as the Lemosho Route for the first two days. After crossing the Shira Plateau the path deviates north following the longer Northern Circuit instead of the more popular Southern Circuit via Barranco Valley. The route circles around the lower northern slopes to the east side of the mountain. There are a few different route variations from this point; however, all approach the summit via Gilman’s Point and then either descend via the Marangu Route or via the Mweka Route joining trekkers from the Machame, Umbwe, Lemosho and Shira routes.
- Difficulty: High
- Scenery: Excellent
- Traffic: Medium
BOOK THIS TOUR
- Arrival and Departure Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) transfers to//from Arusha [For those who arrive/depart from Nairobi, we include schedule shuttle bus transfer, available at 8AM and 2PM daily]
- Transport from the hotel in Arusha to the mountain and back to the Hotel.
- Kilimanjaro national park permits, camping/hut fees, mountain rescue fees, value added tax (VAT), and all other applicable local government taxes/fees
- Services of Guide, assistant guides, cook and porters
- Maximum of 10 climbers (unless stated otherwise)
- Accommodation in a lodge in Arusha or Moshi at a Hotel for 2 nights (before & after the climb), including breakfast and taxes
- Meals on the mountain
- Drinking water: Boiled water on the trek (recommended to bring a filter/filtrating tablets), and bottled water on the safari.
- Sleeping pad
- Dining tent, tables, chairs
- Bottled oxygen for emergency rescue only
- Items of personal nature
- Climbing gears (most of them can be rented on arrival; we recommend you email the list of items you think you may consider renting)
- Tips to the climbing crew
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The pack that the porters carry is limited to 35 pounds (i.e. 15kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics, etc) make sure you get a receipt for that
- *If you wanted to arrive a day earlier so as to have time to acclimate/get over jet lag before starting the trek, you can do that, and extra cost will be cost for hotel in Arusha, which are $95 for a single room, and $116 for a double room, including breakfast
- *If you add that day, instead of just staying at the hotel, we can offer you a day trip safari to the nearby Arusha National Park for game drives safari for $170pp (plus $35pp if you want to do hiking there).